Colds can occur any time of the year but the main season is clearly in the fall and winter months. Colds and related ailments are generally cased by viruses (among them Adeno-,Myxo-,ECHO-, Coxsackie- or Parainfluenza viruses).
Children in kindergarten are most exposed and most affected, with 8 to 10 infections annual generally the average. When children first go to kindergarten in September and then gets sick every 3 to 4 weeks over then next 8 months, then parents often say: „Our child is constantly sick, there has to be a problem with his immune system.“ But don’t be alarmed. For most children who have developed normally, these cold and cold-related sicknesses are bothersome (as well as for their parents) but harmless. Symptoms normally last 4 – 7 days
- Sniffles ( at first clear and fluid, later often gooey, yellow to green)
- Throat ache
- Ear ache
- Fever (rising as of afternoon)
- Fatigue and grumpyness
- Paracetamol or Ibuprofen (Mexalen, Nureflex, Parkemed) in case of fever > 38,5 degrees and or pain
- Possibly swelling-reducing nose drops; but not needed if the nose is runny particularly if the fluid is clear. For no longer than for a week.
- Freshly squeezed orange juice as a vitamin C provider
- Steam inhalation (with an inhalator using salt solution), possibily adding etheric oils like thymian – encourages draining of mucous
- Do not use medications containing camphor or menthol in any way like inhalation or body rubs- could result breathing distress breathing stop!
- Bath solutions with camomile, hayflowers, pine needles soothe irritated mucuous membranes
- Onion juice kills germs and strengthens the immune system
- Preparation: mince a raw union, add to a cup, mix with honey, cover and let rest until the honey draws out the juice from the onion
- Homeopathy: Aconitum D6, Belladonna D6, Ferrum phosphoricum D6, in nose drop form, Euphorbium for instance.
What doesn’t help?
- Most of the expensive and numerous „Cold Remedies“ on the market
- Your child should cough, because it helps to clean passages during colds. Most cough syrups are there to calm the parents 🙂